Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tissue Paper





I bought those from a "flagger" today. Not flagging stickers, but tissue papers.

The flagger was without legs, his armed outstretched, with 3 tissue packets in his palm, to the passerbys. Next to him was a little carboard poster with the words " 3 for $1 ". I thought I would walk past as if he wasn't there at all, but after walking about 10 metres away, something make me walk back. I dug out a 2 dollar note and wanted to buy a set of tissues. In my mind I wanted to let him keep the 1 dollar change. But actually, putting myself in his shoes, that was a pretty mean thing to do. It was more like a insult.


I took 3 colourful tissue packets form his bony arm, and then took out a plastic bag with some coins in it, and held it out to me, to take the change. He really must have been really trusting, willing to take out his meagre coins out in the open and let me take a one dollar coin change.
So I did, and clutched the tissues in my hand and catch up with my friends.

If you hadn't realised, that flagger was actually a handicap selling tissues as a living.


When I got home, I relised that the tissue packets had " Cartoons " on it. See the Hansel and Gretel, Dumbo and The three Muskeeteers. Really cute huh?


Even though the they were really cheap, I don't think I'll ever use them. i always feel sad whenever i see the tissue's, because the remind me of the man who sold them, and the image of him sitting on the floor selling his tissues comes back to my mind.

And he's not the only unfortunate one out there, because there are other poor people like him, too, and some even in worser situations.

All of us are really lucky you know.

No comments: